(We start on time so please arrive and settle in 15 minutes earlier.)
Live DJ set by PRIMAL FLOW (UK)!
"Dancing is not just a movement. When a movement becomes ecstatic then it is dance. When the movement is so total that there is no ego, then it is a dance." ~ OSHO
What is Ecstatic Dance?
Ecstatic dance is a form of free-form movement that allows individuals to express themselves through spontaneous and uninhibited dance.
Ecstatic dance is a modern form of an ancient tribal, shamanic, and spiritual practice that has existed globally in indigenous cultures for thousands of years.
Ecstatic Dance in its most simple definition is free-form movement/dance inspired by music.
We allow our bodies to move freely without judgment or concern for the "grace" or beauty of the dance.
This dance is an inner/outer journey of moving meditation.
What are the benefits of Ecstatic Dance?
While the benefits can vary from person to person, here are some commonly reported advantages of ecstatic dance:
1) Physical Exercise: Ecstatic dance provides a full-body workout, helping to improve cardiovascular health, stamina, and flexibility.
2) Stress Reduction: Engaging in expressive movement can be a powerful stress reliever. Dancing allows individuals to release pent-up tension and reduce levels of stress hormones.
3) Emotional Release: Ecstatic dance provides a safe space for emotional expression. Participants often report feeling a sense of liberation and catharsis as they dance and release emotions through movement.
4) Self-Expression: It offers a non-verbal form of self-expression, allowing individuals to communicate and connect with their inner selves and emotions.
5) Mind-Body Connection: Ecstatic dance encourages a strong connection between the mind and body. The emphasis on being present in the moment fosters mindfulness and self-awareness.
6) Community and Connection: Many ecstatic dance sessions are communal, providing an opportunity for social interaction and a sense of belonging. The shared experience of dance can create a supportive and positive community.
7) Creativity and Inspiration: Dancing freely can stimulate creativity and inspiration. It`s a way to break free from conventional movement patterns and discover new ways of moving.
8) Increased Energy and Vitality: The physical activity and the joyous nature of ecstatic dance can lead to increased energy levels and a sense of vitality.
9) Improved Mood: Dancing, especially in a free and uninhibited way, triggers the release of endorphins, the "feel-good" hormones, which can contribute to an improved mood and a sense of happiness.
10) Body Awareness: Ecstatic dance encourages individuals to become more aware of their bodies and how they move. This heightened awareness can lead to improved posture, coordination, and body confidence.
11) Spiritual Connection: For some, ecstatic dance is a spiritual practice. It can be a way to connect with a higher power, nature, or the divine through movement and rhythm.
12) Mindfulness and Meditation: The focus on the present moment during an ecstatic dance can be meditative, providing a break from the constant chatter of the mind and promoting a sense of peace and calm.
In essence, ecstatic dance develops a direct body-mind-spirit connection, letting your body and inner guide be your teacher.
It`s about being present with your own being and discovering your own dance through free movement to release stuck energy.
Who is Ecstatic Dance for?
This is a non-alcoholic, all-ages event open to all variations of physical abilities.
No dance experience or partner is necessary.
It`s a perfect outlet for those who think they "can`t dance" and for experienced dancers alike.
It is free-form, and not a structured dance and It is also not a social dance.
It is a safe environment to dance without outside observers or conversation.
Much of the time it is simply an open dance floor for you to explore different rhythms, patterns of movement, and your inner journey.
What happens in Ecstatic Dance?
A musical wave(s) helps facilitate that journey. Each week there will be a new soundscape of free-form ecstatic dance.
It is lightly facilitated with invitations to explore movement with specific areas of the body and to explore larger themes as a whole through your movement and stillness.
The music tends to start and end slowly with the majority of the “wave” being up-tempo, joyful songs. Talking on the dance floor is replaced by other forms of expression physically, emotionally, and occasionally verbally.
Conversations are brought outside the dance space.
At the end of the wave(s), there is a closing circle that allows one-way shares of our experiences and feelings.
What are the Guidelines of Ecstatic Dance?
No talking in the dance space.
No Phones (Photography/Videography).
Listen to your body.
Respect Boundaries. Be aware of your personal space and others.
Explore the space.
You don`t have to dance or do anything you don`t want to.
Come experience it for yourself!
We believe that Ecstatic Dance is a safe container, a sacred space in which sharing positive intentions, connecting authentically with oneself and others, healing, and spiritual exploration can take place.
Every session will feature a new and unique live DJ mix of uplifting and transformational music.
We invite you to come share your beautiful presence in the spirit of Dance & Celebration!
To connect with ourselves & each other with open hearts and minds.
To enjoy music, feel alive, and have fun!
Musical Guide: Primal Flow (UK)
We start on time so please arrive and settle in 30 -15 minutes earlier.
Dress code: Whatever you feel comfortable moving in.